I often double or triple the ingredients below to make friends share in my healthy healthy juice! The comment I receive most is that it smells a bit like grass. But considering how healthy it is (and that fact that it is totally drinkable), ‘bring on the grass’!
First things first. Don’t feel like a juicer is out of your budget. I got mine at Wal-Mart for $30!! I have had no problems so far (black and decker), use it daily, and clean up isn’t too bad (but DO clean immediately after juicing as quickly as you can– so the gunk doesn’t get stuck on– and then enjoy your juice knowing the clean up is done).
So for the recipe. This is nothing out of the ordinary, just things I have thrown together. Be creative. If it’s a little too sour for you, try sweeter options like red apple or carrot. If you prefer more sour, up the lime/lemon quantities. Play around with it. And variety is great too. Also don’t forget I personally recommend organic.
Clean Green Juice for One:
- 1-2 stalks of celery
- 2 inch slice of cucumber
- 1 lemon or lime, or half of each (see note below re citrus peels)
- 1 green apple
- handful of green spinach
- be sure to add addtl greens such as kale (play around with the varieties and mix it up, use 1-2 large leaves), or mustard greens.
- 1-2 tbsp of Flax Seed (see note below)
- Put the greens through the juicer first, so any left behind gets brought through by the end.
- Grind the Flax Seed in a bullet or blender before adding juice to it.
- Blend the final juice, ground flax, and a few ice cubes before drinking to give the drink a cool edge.
- As for citrus peels: I am currently researching as to whether it is best to juice them or toss them. As of right now, I would suggest tossing all peels other than lemon/lime. With the lemon/lime peels, I would try a small piece to make sure your juicer can handle it. Also, the taste may be affected so it’s worth a try with the peels and then without to see what you prefer. DO always leave as much as the Pith on as possible (which is the thin white skin around any of the citrus fruits such as oranges, grapefruits, or the lemons/limes).
ENJOY AND PLAY AROUND WITH IT! IT SHOULD BE SOMETHING YOU ENJOY (OR AT LEAST MOSTLY), NOT A TASK.